Thursday, August 20, 2009

First Day of Preschool






Today was Patrick's first day of preschool at Resurrection Catholic School. He woke up excited and bounded out the door with Daddy. Daddy called me shortly after they arrived, saying that Patrick was playing just fine and didn't even blink when he left. It was an odd morning for Lucy and I, she immediately asked where Patrick was, then stated repeatedly throughout the morning how "quiet" it was and that Patrick was at preschool. She is the age that he was when she was born, so it was different for me to have only a 20 month old at home, kind of ironic. We jogged and played, I included a picture of her lounging on our bed, loving the attention.

We picked up Patrick at 10:15 and I almost teared up when I saw the class filing out of the school in a single line with their backpacks on, sitting quietly and immediately on the bench until their parent arrived. Patrick smiled when he saw us and hopped down after Mrs Greulich told him we were here, immediately opening his bag to show me his prize for helping pick up toys. His teacher told us he had a great morning, participating in every activity and never once looking scared or sad. We received a daily note of their activities, which included playdoh, painting, reading books, singing songs, sharing their balloons, and having a snack. I did include a picture of his balloon, the first assignment from the open house Tuesday night, that served to introduce Patrick to his classmates. Don't worry, I won't photograph every single paper he brings home, but this was the first!! Lucy was happy to see Patrick, pointing to him and saying over and over -- "It's Patrick!"

Everyone aged today. Both my kids seemed older and Brian and I surely felt older, but it seemed right to be moving on to this next phase in our lives. I feel such comfort and happiness with Resurrection initially, I know this school will be a good fit for us.

2 comments:

Carrie Ann Rudolph said...

How exciting! Patrick looks so cute and grown up with his backpack. Glad to hear the first day went well. I can't imagine 2 years from now when Lucy and Lucas will be going.

Anonymous said...

What a great first day. I think its just great how comfortable it was for Patrick. Sounds like Resurrection is a great fit.